Acording to Open AI’s GPT4, yes, it is possible for AI art generators to create never-before-seen art styles. AI algorithms like Generative Adversarial Networks (GANs) and style transfer techniques can combine existing styles, extrapolate from them, or even create entirely new styles through their learning process. By analyzing vast amounts of art data and using deep learning techniques, AI art generators can create innovative and unique pieces of art that might not have been imagined by human artists. However, it is important to note that the AI’s creations are still influenced by the data it has been trained on, so it may not be completely independent from existing art styles.
How is this possible?
Creating a new art style that is not influenced by existing artists or styles is a challenging task because art, by its nature, is a product of cultural and historical influences. However, to attempt such a feat, one could consider the following steps:
1. Break away from conventional themes and subject matters: Focus on exploring new subjects or reinterpret traditional themes in an entirely different manner.
2. Experiment with new techniques and mediums: Utilizing unconventional tools, materials, or digital technology to create artwork can lead to the development of a unique style.
3. Embrace abstraction and non-representational forms: By avoiding direct representation of objects or scenes, an artist can explore new visual languages and create distinctive aesthetics.
4. Focus on personal expression and individuality: An artist’s unique experiences, emotions, and perspectives can contribute to the development of an original art style.
5. Collaborate with other disciplines: Engaging with different fields like science, technology, or philosophy can inspire new artistic approaches and ideas.
6. Iterate and evolve: Continuously refining one’s work and being open to experimentation can eventually lead to the development of a distinct art style.
When attempting to create a new art style, it is nearly impossible to be completely uninfluenced by existing styles, as artists are part of a broader cultural and historical context. However, focusing on these aspects can increase the chances of creating a distinctive and original art style.
Attempts to create new art styles
The following prompts were created by Open AI’s GPT4 and rendered using MitchJourn-E and Stable Diffusion.
Prompt 1: Generate a groundbreaking artwork that combines futuristic elements and organic shapes, creating a visual experience that has never been seen before in the art world.
This image is interesting in that it looks like a rendering of a backlit solid object set on display, but it’s features are also reminiscing of a fluid or gaseous cloud. In terms of subject, this appears to be unique. Compositionally this is standard coverage of a subject in the center frame. Colour and technique are reminiscent of other images generated by Stable Diffusion models.
Looking for similar images on google didn’t return anything extremely similar. In a few cases, it looks most similar to fractal art, though the fluid asymmetric shapes would put this outside of that category. Here are the most similar images I found from Google reverse image search:
Prompt 2: Design an innovative piece of art that merges the concepts of time and space, transcending traditional art styles and introducing an entirely new visual language.
Prompt 3: Create a visionary artwork that fuses digital aesthetics with ancient tribal patterns, forming a unique and unprecedented artistic style.
While AI art generators are capable of producing innovative and unique pieces of art, it is important to note that their creations are still influenced by the data they have been trained on. Creating a new art style that is completely independent from existing styles is a challenging task, as art is a product of cultural and historical influences.
However, by breaking away from conventional themes and subject matters, experimenting with new techniques and mediums, embracing abstraction, focusing on personal expression, collaborating with other disciplines, and continuously refining one’s work, artists can increase the chances of creating a distinctive and original style.
The prompts generated by Open AI’s GPT4 and rendered using MitchJourn-E and Stable Diffusion demonstrate the possibilities of creating new artworks that are less similar to traditional styles, but more similar to other images generated by Stable Diffusion. These images are still reminiscent of existing art styles in terms of composition, colour, and subject, highlighting the challenge of creating a truly independent style.
Learn how you can start generating your own AI art with the free and open source application MitchJourn-E. MitchJourn-E is a powerful AI image generation app that uses Invoke-AI as it’s back-end to create beautiful images.